Discussion Boards

Solutions to 4 common communication roadblocks

Content Strategist
Content Strategist
Christine Nedilsky
Christine is a Content Strategist, using language to create a delightful, human experience for our users. She digs camping and attending open houses around San Francisco (a girl can dream)!

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 12.48.03 PM.png

Connecting with online leads can be a frustrating experience. Some days you’re bombarded with phone calls, and some days it’s a struggle just to get someone to answer a text message. The key for overcoming these hurdles is to have a game plan for every situation you may encounter. That way, you’ll always get your message across. Here are 4 common communication roadblocks, and what you can do to overcome them.

What to do when….

💬 A lead reaches out to you 

It’s a common rule that you should respond to a lead’s email, text message, or phone call within five minutes. Forget that rule. If you want any shot at working with an online lead, you need to reach out immediately, if not sooner. Reach out within the first 30 seconds to beat out the competition and show you’re serious about helping them find their dream home.

😬 You miss a lead's call

Although missing a phone call is never a good look for a real estate agent, it happens. If you’re too busy to call back, respond right away with a text message. Come up with a simple auto response that you can easily customize on the fly. Here’s an example: Hey! I’m sorry I missed your call, but I would love to help you out. When is a good time for me to call you back? Looking forward to our chat!

🙈A lead is avoiding you 

If your lead is dodging your phone calls, it’s time to move on to plan b: send a video! Record a short video on your phone where you introduce yourself and kindly explain that you’re available to answer any questions your lead might have—then send the video via text message. It will be almost impossible for them to not watch it. 

📞 You don’t have a lead's contact information
Sometimes online leads come through with limited information, which can make it difficult to reach out. If you receive a lead without a listed phone number, don’t fret! You’ll be amazed at what you can find from a simple Google search. If you can’t find their phone number or email, try looking for them on Facebook and shoot them a private message.

💡Pro tip: If you’re an iPhone user, and you see that your contact is a registered iPhone user (email address shows in blue), you can use the FaceTime app to enter the person's email address, then tap the FaceTime audio icon to make a call (probably wise to avoid a video call on an initial outreach 😉).